Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 10, 2022, 12:39:32 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/GoGreenNetworks and thanks for visiting!

+  Green Eco Forum - Environmental Discussions
|-+  Love of Nature
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Should we let Giant Pandas die out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Do you think large mammals (Pandas, tigers, polar bears) get too much money spent on saving them, and not enough is spent elsewhere?
Too much is spent on pandas etc.   -0 (0%)
Just the right amount is spent   -1 (33.3%)
Not enough is spent   -0 (0%)
I wish there was enough money donated to save everything   -2 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 2

Author Topic: Should we let Giant Pandas die out?  (Read 7078 times)
caperol

Fuel: 12

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:25:21 AM »

So, before you all think I'm a weirdo and throw me off the forums, this poll is inspired by an article featuring one of Britain's best known naturalists shown here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/6216775/Chris-Packham-Giant-pandas-should-be-allowed-to-die-out.html

He basically raises the point that the 'poster pinup' animals get a disproportionate amount of 'conservation' money spent on them, to the detriment of other animals who deserve it just as much.

What do you think?
Jay G.
Administrator
Incredible Hulk

Fuel: 26

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:37:04 AM »

Locally I have heard talk of the Toronto Zoo wanting to bring back the Large Pandas too.

Here is an excerpt from the Globe and Mail news story about it today:

The Toronto Zoo wants to spend $83,000 to take another crack at landing a pair of giant pandas from China for a 10-year stay.

A return of the crowd-pleasing animals has been a gleam in the eye of zoo officials since they paid a short but popular visit in the late 1980s.

Of the $83,000 total, $63,000 would be for travel costs for a delegation of up to nine people, and $20,000 for a consultant to rally support from the provincial and federal governments. The zoo's board is scheduled to debate the issue at its Oct. 2 meeting.

Any decision to hand over giant pandas to the zoo would be a matter of high politics between Ottawa and the Chinese government. Under current practice, the Chinese lend out the pandas for a decade, giving time for a male and female to mate in captivity and allow researchers to study their habits.

caperol

Fuel: 12

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »

See - $83000 to *think* about getting some pandas to the zoo for 10 years.  How far could that $83000 go in supporting the protection of say, the Komodo dragon or something equally rare but not as newsworthy!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length